Exterior Lighting and Outdoor Electrical Box Safety
Who doesn’t love a beautiful set of string lights to create a relaxing vibe?! Exterior lighting can not only set the right mood in your yard or on your patio, it can also increase visibility and even potentially deter burglars. However, it’s important to safely install and maintain your exterior lighting and outdoor electrical box to avoid accidents and keep your lights working properly, rain or shine.
In this blog, we’ve outlined five tips to keep you outdoor lights and electrical box in tip-top shape.
Top Five Exterior Lighting and Outdoor Electrical Box Safety Tips
- Use outdoor-rated light fixtures: Only use light fixtures that are designed and rated for outdoor use. Indoor fixtures are not designed for exposure to certain weather conditions, and using them outdoors can pose a fire hazard.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions: Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when installing and maintaining your exterior light fixtures. This includes choosing the right bulbs for outdoor lighting, hiring a licensed electrician to wire the fixtures correctly as needed, and positioning them in safe locations. Outdoor LED bulbs are energy-efficient and have a longer lifespan than traditional incandescent bulbs. They also generate less heat, reducing the risk of fire.
- Keep fixtures clean and free of debris: Dirt, leaves, and other debris can build up on exterior light fixtures. This can cause them to overheat and become a fire hazard. Regularly clean your fixtures to keep them in good condition.
- Keep the electrical box dry: Outdoor electrical boxes should always be kept dry to prevent electrical shock or other accidents. Ensure that the box is properly sealed and that no water or moisture can enter the box. For any outdoor extension cords, be sure you have an extension cord cover properly in place.
- Don’t overload circuits: Overloading electrical circuits can cause them to overheat and start a fire. Make sure that you don’t exceed the recommended wattage for your outdoor lighting. You should also consider using an outdoor light timer or motion sensor to reduce the amount of time that your lights are on.
How TheQwikFix Can Help
By following these simple tips, you can ensure that the exterior of your home remains safely and properly lit. Safety should always come first, especially when working with electricity. At TheQwikFix, we have licensed electricians ready to complete any home repairs with the click of a button. Learn more and get your repair quote TODAY at www.theqwikfix.com.
for competitive home repair quotes.